Ketu South Municipality is one of the twenty five (25) municipalities/districts in the Volta Region. The Municipality is located at the south-eastern corner of Ghana. It shares boundaries with the Republic of Togo to the East, Keta Municipality to the West, Ketu North District to the North, and Gulf of Guinea to the South. The Municipality has a total land size of approximately 779 sq. km representing 3.8 percent of the regional land area and lies within latitudes 60 03’N and 60 10’N, and longitude 10 6’E and 10 11’E.
The Municipality is strategically located with added advantage as the Eastern Gateway to Ghana where continuous cross-border activities are carried out on daily basis. The location of the municipality to the main Ghana-Togo boarder has a lot of security and welfare implications with potentials for brisk commercial economic activities.
Topography and Drainage
Ketu South Municipal is a relatively low lying area with altitudes ranging from less than 15 metres at the coast and increasing to 66 metres inland.The coastline is fairly smooth and marked by sandbars. The Municipality is drained by the Gulf of Guinea which stretches along its entire southern boundary. The Municipality is endowed with about 30 kilometres stretch of wetlands/lagoon, extending from the Keta lagoon at Blekusu to the environs of Aflao, which provides opportunities for aquaculture activities, eco-tourism, development of green belt, and salt mining.
These lagoons occasionally get flooded resulting into destruction of property and rending inhabitants homeless with its social implications. Poor drainage of the Municipality places a lot of limitation on agriculture development especially in the promotion of dam construction for irrigation activities. However, the lagoons in the municipality have the potential for economic development and employment generation.
The Municipality is underlain by three main geological formations namely the Keta Soil Association, Ada-Oyibi and Muni Soil Association and the Toje-Alajo Soil Formation. The Keta Soil Association is characterized with deep loose and yellowish sands occupying flat to gently undulating topography which dominates the southern sector of the Municipality. The Oyibi-Muni Soil Association is characterized mainly with deep black clay occurring under saline grassland along the margin of creeks and blackish lagoon, grayish salt encrusted incoherent sandy loam often with shell. This type of soil is found also in the south especially around Denu-Agbozume areas. The Toje-Alajo Soil Association is a very deep red loam (Toje Series) on upper of gently undulating land with yellowish brown loams. This soil grade down-slope into almost white sand and the valley bottom have mainly grey calcareous and acid clay. This soil formation is the dominant soil type in the municipality and characterizes the central and northern belt of the municipality. The prevailing soil type in the Municipality greatly influence agricultural activities and the type of crops produced. The soil supports the production of mainly cassava, maize and vegetable.
There are other soil formation, the Regosolic Groundwater Laterites, the Recent Deposits of the littoral consisting of marine sands and the Tertiary formation comprising Savannah Ochrosols for its soil type. These soil types are suitable for the cultivation of different types of crops production.
Pouring of Libation, a Traditional Prayer
Mobirise helps you cut down development time by providing you with a flexible website editor with a drag and drop interface. Mobirise Website Builder creates responsive, retina and mobile friendly websites in a few clicks. Mobirise is one of the easiest website development tools available today.
One other important and recognized religious group in the municipality is Christianity. Orthodox, Charismatic, Pentecostal Churches as well as prayer camps especially in the urban areas abound in the area. According to the 2010 Population and Housing Census, Christianity accounts for 59.0% of the total population followed by Traditional Religion (27.9%) and Islam (3.5%) respectively.
Religious Composition of the Population
Source: Ghana Statistical Service, 2010 Population and Housing Census.
The Municipality is dominated by one major ethnic group, the Ewes, accounting for 97% of the populace. The remaining 3% are made up of Akans, Dangmes and a negligible proportion of northern ethnic groups.